This year’s NICEIC Live South will take place at Epsom Downs racecourse on 16 May.
Guest speaker at this year’s event is Wayne Hemingway, originally known for fashion design but now more associated with social housing design. Hemingway was also recently appointed chairman of Building for Life, the national standard for well-designed homes and neighbourhoods forum. At NICEIC Live South, he will be discussing the opportunities that will exist for contractors in this space in the future.
The event will also include a seminar programme with over four hours of learning opportunities including technical sessions from NICEIC’s Tony Cable and Darren Staniforth.
Attendees will also be able to meet a range of suppliers in one place with a number of companies already signed up to attend, including electrical distributor WF Senate as a partner sponsor. Additional exhibitors already confirmed include Megger, Click Scolmore, Brother and Aurora.
Following the recent partnership between the Electrical Safety Council (ESC) and Electrical Contractors’ Association (ECA) the cost to attend the event has been reduced to £29 for all those contractors listed on the Electrical Safety Register.
A recent survey by the Electrical Safety Council showed millions of people are attempting electrical jobs such as rewiring and installing complicated electrical equipment in an attempt to save cash.
What many don’t know is that, by law, electrical work must be carried out by a registered electrician, or at least approved by a local building control office.
Experts are worried this lack of understanding could result in serious injury or death, with figures from the Electrical Safety Council showing that electricity kills at least one person in their home each week, with almost 1,000 seriously injured every day.
The survey reveals one in seven consumers have rewired areas of their home, one in five have carried out a fuse box change, one in six have attempted an electrical installation in the garden, while one in eight have or would attempt to install under floor areas of their home.
As a result, more than a third of registered electricians are called to fix botched jobs at least once a month and almost one in five contractors have seen dodgy electrical work, which has caused injury to the homeowner.
Phil Buckle, director general of the Electrical Safety Council, said: “Some of the figures from this survey are truly alarming. There is clearly a need to continually educate homeowners on the dangers of electricity in the home.
“With this in mind, the Electrical Safety Register was launched by our charity in partnership with the Electrical Contractors’ Association to offer consumers an easy to use database, where they can find a certified contractor and be sure that the work that is carried out will be safe and up to standard.
“We hope that by launching the Register, we can help to reduce the number of deaths and accidents that occur each year through incorrect electrical work.”